Magnesium deficiency is rampant in America. In fact, it’s been estimated that more than 50% of adult Americans don’t consume sufficient foods high in magnesium to get the required daily amount of (300mg for women, 400mg for men) of this critically important mineral.
Health problems associated with low magnesium levels include:
- Stress and Anxiety
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS)
- High blood pressure
- Hormone imbalance
- Migraine Headaches
This isn’t surprising when you consider the fact that magnesium enables more than 300 enzymes in the body to function effectively. These enzymes perform important functions, like managing the function of our DNA and regulating cellular energy production in the brain, muscles, and heart. We need magnesium to produce many key proteins, and even for the production of glutathione, what some have called the body’s “master antioxidant.”
No doubt, one reason so many of us are magnesium deficient is because we aren’t eating enough foods high in magnesium. Keeping in mind magnesium’s all-important role in health and wellness, I urge you to consider adding these magnesium-rich foods to your daily menu:
- Almonds are nutrient-dense and full of healthy fats and protein. Their high fiber content helps regulate blood sugar and reduces hunger, making it a great snack for those looking to manage their weight. Better yet, just one ounce of almonds contains 80mg of magnesium!
- Spinach is packed with magnesium, providing 157mg in a single cup. Additionally, this leafy green has many other vitamins and minerals that help optimize magnesium absorption.
- Pumpkin seeds contain a whopping 184mg of magnesium in just ¼ cup! That’s approximately half recommended daily allowance (RDA).
- Avocados contain 58mg of magnesium in a single fruit. Healthy fats present in avocados are great for heart and brain health and actually contain more potassium than bananas!
- Cultured yogurt contains 30mg of magnesium per cup and is a superb source of protein. Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and probiotics, which are all also found in yogurt, make this one nutrient-rich, gut-healthy snack.
So, the next time you go grocery shopping, remember to fill your shopping cart with some of these magnesium rich foods!