FBPixel Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults - David Perlmutter M.D.

Science

Study Title
Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults
Publication
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Author(s)

Krista A Varady, Surabhi Bhutani, Emily C Church, and Monica C Klempel

Abstract

Background: The ability of modified alternate-day fasting (ADF; ie, consuming 25% of energy needs on the fast day and ad libitum food intake on the following day) to facilitate weight loss and lower vascular disease risk in obese individuals remains unknown.
Objective: This study examined the effects of ADF that is administered under controlled compared with self-implemented conditions on body weight and coronary artery disease (CAD) risk indicators in obese adults.
Design: Sixteen obese subjects (12 women, 4 men) completed a 10-wk trial, which consisted of 3 phases: 1) a 2-wk control phase, 2) a 4-wk weight loss/ADF controlled food intake phase, and 3) a 4-wk weight loss/ADF self-selected food intake phase.
Results: Dietary adherence remained high throughout the controlled food intake phase (days adherent: 86%) and the self-selected food intake phase (days adherent: 89%). The rate of weight loss remained constant during controlled food intake (0.67 6 0.1 kg/wk) and self- selected food intake phases (0.68 6 0.1 kg/wk). Body weight de- creased (P , 0.001) by 5.6 6 1.0 kg (5.8 6 1.1%) after 8 wk of diet. Percentage body fat decreased (P , 0.01) from 45 6 2% to 42 6 2%. Total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triacylglycerol concentrations decreased (P , 0.01) by 21 6 4%, 25 6 10%, and 32 6 6%, respectively, after 8 wk of ADF, whereas HDL cholesterol remained unchanged. Systolic blood pressure decreased (P , 0.05) from 124 6 5 to 116 6 3 mm Hg.
Conclusion: These findings suggest that ADF is a viable diet option to help obese individuals lose weight and decrease CAD risk.

Date
November 25, 2009
View study

Share This

Related Topics

FastingWeight Loss

Dr. David Perlmutter is on the cutting edge of innovative medicine that looks at all lifestyle influences on health and illness.

Andrew Weil, MD